A wise man once said that every human being is the author of his own health or disease. Eat right and stay healthy. However, there is something more than that. Recent study has shown that the amount of some components like vitamin D differs with every person. In this case you must be aware of your exact amount so that you can fulfill the need of your body accordingly. The major vitamin D deficiency diseases include rickets, severe tooth decay and senile osteoporosis. There are several vitamin D deficiency treatments available which can easily cure the disease. Consult your nutritionist before following them.
Some facts on the doses of vitamin D
- It is estimated that the amount of vitamin D is directly proportional to the weight of a person.
- Older people often need more vitamin D than the younger ones.
- Dark-skinned, obese, and older patients often require higher maintenance doses of vitamin D than fair-skinned, thin, or younger patients.
- The doses of vitamin D supplementation differ with the season. In winter, the amount increases.
- During pregnancy, maternal vitamin D deficiency can cause permanent damage of foetal brain.
Causes of vitamin D deficiency
- Low consumption of vitamin D
- Limited exposure to sunlight
- Dark pigmentation
- Kidney damage which cannot convert vitamin D to its active form.
- Low absorption of vitamin D by the digestive tract.
- The person is suffering with obesity.
Vitamin D deficiency treatment
It involves the following broad factors. You must concern your nutritionist in case of vitamin D deficiency.
A light- skinned adult requires 15 minutes of noon time sunlight exposure. This exposure should be on both sides of a bare body. This is enough to input approximately 10,000 IU of vitamin D. This amount can be obtained from spending the same length of time in tanning bed. One or two such exposure is must in a week to maintain a healthy amount of vitamin D in your body. It is highly recommended to avoid the longer exposure as this may cause malignant melanoma. Sunburn is the significance of higher exposure to UV. It can also lead to early aging and non-melanoma skin cancer.
Significant amount of vitamin D is provided by only few animal foods. Eggs, fortified milk, liver, butter and some fatty fish are those animal foods with Vitamin D. Margarine is a good substitute of butter in your daily diet. Cod liver oil contains some amount of vitamin D, but it contains a higher amount of vitamin A. Many people have this misconception that excess amount of cod liver oil leads to vitamin D toxicity but it is the retinol or vitamin A which causes bone toxicity.
Colecalciferol or vitamin D3 is used for Vitamin D deficiency treatment.
Availability of Colecalciferol: It is easily available in the US. It can also be ordered online in the form of the capsule. The capsules are available in 400, 1000, 2000, 5000, 1000 and 50000 IUs.
Patients to whom UV adversely affects are recommended to provide daily supplementation of 2000 IUs of Colecalciferol.
Ultraviolet B radiation
Ultraviolet B radiation treatment is preferable to oral supplementation. There are following reasons for this.
- Unexpected doses of vitamin D may be needed to cover up the loss. This amount is 25 microgram.
- The amount of vitamin D needed to fill the deficiency varies with person to person. The factors such as a body fat, skin color, age, season, sunning habits, body weight and latitude.
- Higher dose of supplementation can be toxic to the human body.
Doses of vitamin D according to the age
- Bottle fed infants- 400 IU of vitamin D/day
- Breast fed infants- 800 IU of vitamin D/day
- Toddlers and older children – 1000-2000 IU/day (depends on body weight). This is quite a large amount as they do not eat variety of food at that stage. You can provide that amount to your kids with the proper quantity of milk.
- Adults – 600 IU
Still, it varies with every individual.
Vitamin D deficiency treatment has the following goals:
- Calcium and phosphorous absorption in the body increases. It improves the saturation level of calcium and phosphorous in plasma.
- It promotes bone calcification, which leads to healthy teeth.
- It maintains the level of citrate in the blood.
It also prevents the loss of amino acids through the kidney.
Before going for the above-mentioned vitamin D deficiency treatment and doses, consult your doctor.